Ford congratulates QUB student on photography award
Justice Minister David Ford has congratulated local student Alison Metoudi on winning third prize in a photography competition aimed at raising awareness of human trafficking.
~ Thursday, 20 December 2012
The competition provided a great opportunity for my Department and the Department of Justice and Equality to tap into the energy, enthusiasm and ideas that third level students have on this issue
Minister of Justice David Ford MLA,Northern Ireland Department of Justice
The Minister presented Alison with her award at a ceremony in Dublin on Tuesday, where he also congratulated the other winners in each category.
David Ford said: “The competition provided a great opportunity for my Department and the Department of Justice and Equality to tap into the energy, enthusiasm and ideas that third level students have on this issue. I am impressed by the creativity displayed and believe that the innovative videos and photos produced have helped to raise awareness of human trafficking, especially amongst the student population.
“I would like to thank everyone who submitted an entry to the competition and offer my congratulations to those who were shortlisted and those who received an award.
“I would like to pay particular tribute to Alison Metoudi who is studying for a Masters degree in Film and Visual Studies at Queen’s who won third prize in the photography competition. Alison’s photograph is a powerful illustration of the suffering and distress associated with human trafficking.”
Further information on human trafficking can be found at the NI Direct website or at the Blue Blind Fold website where the public can find out more information on what human trafficking is, how to spot the signs and what to do to stop it.
The Minister appealed to anyone with suspicions of human trafficking to report their concerns to the PSNI or anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
David Ford said: “Human trafficking is a horrendous crime and every effort needs to be made to recover victims from the situation they are in. The public can assist by reporting any information or suspicions they have to the police or Crimestoppers.”
Notes to Editors
1.A copy of David Ford and Alison Metoudi at the award ceremony and Alison’s winning photograph are available from the DOJ Press Office on 028 90526444.
2.A total of 22 photographic and 25 video entries were received from students based in third level institutions around Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The winners were:
1st prize: Tony Farrelly (IT Blanchardstown)
2nd prize: Fergal Murphy (IT Blanchardstown)
3rd prize: John Hyland (IT Blanchardstown)
1st prize: Patrick Hughes (Athlone IT)
2nd prize: Nathan Cafolla (Athlone IT)
3rd prize: Alison Metoudi (Queens University Belfast)
3.There were three prizes for each category as follows: 1st €1,000; 2nd €500; 3rd prize €250.
4.The judging panel for the Photography and Video Competition comprised of 3 members, Eamonn Mallie, Journalist, Amanda Byram, TV Presenter and Artist Colin Martin from the Royal Hibernian Academy.
5.Judges’ marks accounted for 80% of the overall marks for each entry. The remaining 20% were decided by the public through Facebook where they could vote on the 12 short-listed entries.
6.The twelve short-listed entries can be viewed on the OCTF's Facebook
7.For all media queries, please contact the DOJ Press Office on 028 9052 6444. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.