Skip the NI Direct Bar
Skip navigation

O’Neill opens Lettershandoney Play Park

Agriculture and Rural Development Minister, Michelle O’Neill has officially opened Lettershandoney Play Park in Derry.
Wednesday, 22 May 2013

The play-park was developed by Derry City Council with financial assistance of £136,510 from Axis 3 of the Rural Development Programme through assisting rural communities, North West (ARC NW).

Speaking at the opening the Minister said: “This facility in Lettershandoney will encourage physical activity in a fun, stimulating environment and provide a range of play choices in an enhanced play experience for young people throughout the area. It is a pleasure to witness first-hand how financial assistance from the RDP has benefited a local community.”

The Minister continued: “The play-park will contribute to one of the key targets of the Rural Development Programme benefitting children and young people. This is a good example of working in partnership with the Council to deliver benefits for the local community.”

The Rural Development Programme 2007-2013 is part financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and over this period is worth £500million to the north.

Notes to editors:

  1. Lettershandoney is situated within Derry City Council, and is a small village and townland in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, three miles from Drumahoe. In the 2011 Census it had a population of 506 people. This project is led and managed by Derry City Council in partnership with Lettershandoney & District Development Group.
  2. Derry City Council received a Letter of Offer for £136,510.50 representing 75% of the project cost of £182,014 was awarded by ARC NW to Derry City Council under Axis 3, Measure 3.4 “Basic Services for the Economy and Rural Population” - with Derry City Council providing the remaining 25% funding. The play park will provide a range of play choices in a stimulating, challenging and enhanced play experience for the children of the Lettershandoney area. In addition, the Axis 3 “Quality of Life” has a 5% target for programme expenditure to benefit children and young people. Project’s such as this play park will contribute to meeting this target.
  3. ARC NW cluster is responsible for delivery of Axis 3 ‘Quality of Life’ Measures of the Rural Development Programme 2007-2013 on behalf of DARD. ARC NW has an allocation of £17,101,867.
  4. Axis 3 of the RDP contains the following measures:
    Diversification into non-agricultural activities – Farm Diversification
    Business creation and development
    Encouragement of tourism activities
    Basic services for the economy and rural population
    Village renewal and development
    Conservation and upgrading of the rural heritage
  5. Local councils came together in clusters to deliver the Axis 3 ‘quality of life’ measures of the Programme on a sub-regional basis, and seven clusters were formed. Each cluster works with a Local Action Group ensuring bottom-up delivery with local people responsible for local decisions.
  6. All media queries should be directed to the DARD Press Office on 028 9052 4619 or email: DARD Press Office. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.