Sport and physical activity statistical bulletin published today
The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) today published: “Experience of sport and physical activity by adults in Northern Ireland”.
~ Thursday, 12 September 2013
This statistical bulletin reports on the findings from the 2012/13 Continuous Household Survey.
· Excluding “walking for recreation”, 54% had taken part in sport within the last year, a proportion that is comparable to the 52% reported in 2011/12. However, when “walking for recreation” is included, participation rates increased from 63% in 2011/12 to 68% in 2012/13.
· A higher proportion of males (61%) than females (46%) participated in sport within the last year. However, when the “walking for recreation” category is included, the figures are similar (69% of males; 66% of females).
· Less than a third of adults (32%) normally achieve the Chief Medical Officers’ recommendation of 150 minutes or more moderate intensity physical activity each week.
· Twenty-two per cent of the population were members of at least one sports club/ sports organisation, with males more likely to be members of at least one sports club (29%) than females (14%).
· Those living in the most deprived areas in Northern Ireland were less likely than those living in the least deprived areas to have participated in sport within the last 12 months, or the last four weeks, irrespective of the inclusion of the “walking for recreation” category.
Notes to editors
- The bulletin presents the findings from the 2012/13 Continuous Household Survey, a Northern Ireland wide household survey administered by Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA). The sample for this survey consisted of a systematic random sample of 4,500 addresses selected from the Land and Property Services’ list of private addresses.
- This bulletin is based on 3,625 respondents aged 16 years and over. The responses were weighted in relation to age and gender to take account of those who had not responded. This resulted in the profile of the responses being more representative of the population.
- The bulletin is available on the DCAL website : DCAL Sport Publications
No hard copies of this report have been published. Requests or enquiries concerning this publication should be directed to:
Research and Statistics Branch
Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure
1-7 Bedford Street
Tel: 028 90 816971
- For media enquiries please contact DCAL Communications Office 028 9051 5048. Out of office hours, contact the EIS Duty Press Officer on pager 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.