Ní Chuilín responds to draft proposals to suspend eel fishing
Culture, Arts and Leisure Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has today announced that she will not consider potential EU proposals to suspend eel-fishing due to the negative economic and social impact upon Lough Neagh Eel Fisheries Co-operative.
~ Thursday, 14 February 2013
The Co-op is the largest sustainable eel fishery in Western Europe, supporting around 300 families on Lough Neagh.
Responding to a request for DCAL’s position, Minister Ní Chuilín has today written to DEFRA in London stating that she will not consider any such proposals without:
- additional independent scientific evidence;
- a full Equality Impact Assessment under s.75(1) of the NI Act 1998;
- full consultation with all stakeholders; and,
- appropriate compensation packages for all those affected in the event of any suspension.
Minister Ní Chuilín is writing to the North’s three MEPs and will be making a statement to the Assembly next week.
Notes for Editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DCAL Press Office on 02890515047. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.