New Appointments to be made at Armagh Observatory and PlanetariumThursday, 17 June 2010
Culture Minister Nelson McCausland, is currently seeking to appoint a Governor to the Board of Governors of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium.
In addition to this he is seeking to appoint two Members to the Management Committee of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium with effect from September 2010.
Commenting on the importance of these positions the Minister said: “Armagh Observatory and Planetarium conducts front-line scientific research in astronomy and related sciences, and delivers a high value for money programme of education and outreach whilst attracting visitors and tourists to its excellent facilities in the Armagh area. These positions therefore have an important role to play in the management of this renowned and prestigious institution.”
Governors have corporate responsibility for ensuring that Armagh Observatory and Planetarium meets its statutory remit and fulfils the aims and objectives set by the Department and approved by the Minister. These include promoting the efficient, economic and effective use of staff and other resources, and for agreeing, in conjunction with the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL), the policy and resources framework within which the organisation discharges its duties.
Management Committee Members have corporate responsibility for ensuring that Armagh Observatory and Planetarium fulfils its aims and objectives set by DCAL as approved by the Minister. Committee Members also have a duty to ensure the efficient, economic and effective use of staff and other resources by the organisation, including safeguarding of public funds and the promotion of propriety and value tor money.
- human resources;
- law; or
- marketing / public relations
A knowledge / experience in one of the following areas: astronomy, museums, archives, related sciences and in the dissemination of such knowledge to all sectors of society is essential for the position of Governor.
An interest in one of the following areas: astronomy, museums, archives, related sciences and any experience in the dissemination of such knowledge to all sectors of society is desirable for the position of Member.
The closing date for applications for these positions is 5.00pm on Friday 9 July 2010. Further information can be obtained from Governance Support Unit, Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure, Causeway Exchange, Level 8, 1 - 7 Bedford Street, BELFAST BT2 7EG, by telephoning 028 9051 5157; or e-mailing: email@example.com . Details can also be found at the DCAL website
Notes to editors:
- This is a competition to appoint a Governor to the Board of Governors and two Members to the Management Committee.
- Appointments are for a term of up to five years. Governors and Members receive no remuneration but they may claim expenses. The required time commitment for the position of Governor on the Board of Governors is at least 1 day and no more than 5 days per year and for the position of Member on the Management Committee is at least 4 days and no more than 8 days per year.
- Applicants may apply for a position on both the Board of Governors and the Management Committee. If applicants are successful in both competitions they can simultaneously hold a position on both the Board of Governors and the Management Committee.
- The appointments are made in accordance with the Code of Practice for Ministerial Public Appointments in Northern Ireland in accordance with the requirements of the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with the original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure Press Office Tel (028) 9051 5047 or email: DCAL Press Office . Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.