Schools mascot deadline approaches
Sports Minister, Nelson McCausland, today urged school children to design a mascot and enter the ‘Make Your Mascot’ competition before 10 December 2010.
~ Monday, 6 December 2010
The competition which is being run by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) is part of the ‘Get Set’ programme which aims to involve schools, colleges and other learning institutions to participate in the Games.
Minister McCausland said: "The Olympic organisers are seeking to challenge children and young people across the UK to design a mascot which could be used on London 2012 products online and in shops. I would encourage as many local schools as possible to enter the competition and give the children of Northern Ireland the chance to become part of one of the greatest sporting events in the world.”
The shortlisted students will spend a day in London, plus the winning school will also get a visit from the official 2012 Olympic and Paralympic mascots, Wenlock and Mandeville. Children can use Wenlock or Mandeville and customise them to represent their own community.
The Minister continued: “The winning designs will make history by becoming official versions of the mascots and could be used on London 2012 products. Winners will also get the chance to spend some time with a top designer to refine their designs.”
In conclusion the Minister said that he wanted to make sure the school children of Northern Ireland have every opportunity to participate in the Get Set programme and be involved in this once in a lifetime experience. The closing date for the competition is 10 December 2010 and further information and entry details can be found at the Getset London 2010 website
Notes to editors:
- LOCOG unveiled its Olympic Mascot, Wenlock and Paralympic Mascot Mandeville on 19 May 2010.
- The mascots travel all over the UK inspiring people to choose sport as they head towards the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
- LOCOG launched the ‘Make Your Mascot’ competition to challenge children and young people across the UK to design a customised version of either of the official 2012 Olympic and Paralympic mascots.
- The competition is seeking to find 12 ideas, one for each of the English regions plus Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Students from shortlisted schools in each nation and region will have the chance to spend a day in London presenting their ideas to a panel of judges plus winning schools will get a visit from either Wenlock or Mandeville.
- Media enquiries should be directed to DCAL Press Office on 028 9051 5045 or DCAL Press Office . Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.