Publication of ‘Domiciliary Care Services for Adults in Northern Ireland (2012)’
The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety today published a statistical bulletin summarising information on adults receiving domiciliary care services during a survey week in September 2012.
~ Friday, 8 February 2013
The bulletin presents information on the numbers of clients receiving domiciliary care, visits, contact hours and intensive domiciliary care provision.
The survey was completed by each Health and Social Care Trust between October 2012 and January 2013.
The main findings from the 2012 survey indicate that an estimated 250,512 contact hours of domiciliary care were provided by HSC Trusts in respect of 24,150 clients, with almost 1 in 3 (7,905) clients receiving intensive domiciliary care. Intensive domiciliary care is defined as 6 or more visits and more than 10 contact hours per week.
Key facts and figures
During the survey week in September 2012:
- An estimated 250,512 contact hours of domiciliary care were provided by HSC Trusts in Northern Ireland, 12% (26,039) more than during the survey week in 2011 (224,473).
- An average of 10.4 domiciliary care contact hours were provided per client, an increase of 9% when compared to 2011 (9.5).
- The independent sector provided the majority (76%) of domiciliary care services outside of normal working hours; over two thirds (71%) of ‘Out of Hours’ and almost all (93%) of ‘Overnight, Live in & 24 Hour Services’.
- HSC Trusts provided domiciliary care services for 24,150 clients, similar to the number during the survey week in 2011 (23,522).
- 7,905 clients received intensive domiciliary care services, 9% (625) more than during the survey week in 2011 (7,280).
- The majority (82%) of clients receiving intensive domiciliary care services were aged 65 & over, with 18% of clients aged 18-64.
- Over three quarters (77%) of all clients receiving domiciliary care services received 6 or more visits. This was slightly higher than the proportions reported in the 2010 and 2011 surveys (68% and 74% respectively)
Notes to editors:
1. All publications are available online
2. About the data:
- The source of the data contained in this release is the Departmental CC7b statistical return which is collected from HSC Trusts on an annual basis.
- Figures incorporate all returns and amendments received from HSC Trusts up to 16 January 2013.
3. This statistical bulletin was produced by Community Information Branch, DHSSPS.
Further information is available from:
Community Information Branch
Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety
Tel: (028) 9052 2493
Fax: (028) 9052 3288
4. Media queries to DHSSPS Information Office on 02890 520074, or out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.