Appointment of Non-Executive Financial Member to the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service Special Health and Social Care Agency
Health Minister, Mr Edwin Poots today announced the appointment of Mr Philip Cathcart as a Non-Executive Financial Member to the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service Special Health and Social Care Agency (NIBTS) for a four-year term from 5 November 2012 to 4 November 2016.
~ Friday, 16 November 2012
The board of the NIBTS comprises of one Executive, a non-executive Chair and three non-executive members.
The appointment was made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointment for Northern Ireland.
Notes to editors:
1. Mr Philip Cathcart lives in Hillsborough, County Down. He is a qualified accountant and has many years experience in the production and management of financial information in private sector organisations. He has clearly demonstrated his ability to build rapport quickly with others and has a track record of dealing with sensitive issues.
2. He will bring his financial skills and knowledge, experience of managing organisational change and his personal experience as a user of NIBTS services to the board.
3. The main function of the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service (NIBTS) is to ensure provision of adequate levels of safe and effective blood components derived from donors in Northern Ireland. The NIBTS is an important part of the Health and Social Care system, and exists to fully supply the needs of all hospitals and clinical units in the province with safe and effective blood and blood products and other related services. The discharge of this function includes a commitment to the care and welfare of its voluntary donors. Health and Social Care Trusts are NIBTS main customers and contracts with these Trusts provide the greatest part of NIBTS funding.
4. Following an external review of future organisational arrangements of the NIBTS, the board now comprises a Non-Executive Chair and three Non-Executive Members.
5. The appointments were made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. There are no specific qualifications for appointment. Non-executive Members to the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service Agency receive annual remuneration of £1,754.
6. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Cathcart declared he had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
7. Media enquiries to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.