New Downe Health Centre will bring real benefits to patients - Poots
Health Minister Edwin Poots today formally opened the new Downe Health Centre.
~ Thursday, 17 January 2013
The new Health Centre accommodates two GP practices working alongside the Trust Community Health and Social Care Services that include nursing, health visiting, community dentistry, podiatry, social care, speech and language, physiotherapy and mental health services.
Speaking at the event, the Minister said: “This is a superb facility and one which will bring real benefits to people from the Downpatrick area.
“My aim, which has been reinforced by the Transforming Your Care report, is that the services provided by Health and Social Care are fit for purpose to meet the needs of patients, clients and local communities. This means more care provided outside hospitals and in the community, closer to people’s homes. This will help people to live independently for as long as possible and reduce avoidable hospital admissions. This centre is a perfect example of this model of care.”
The previous facilities had been in great need of repair and did not meet the standards of a modern facility. Locating the new Health Centre within the Downe Hospital provides a modern, accessible facility for patients.
The Minister continued saying: “This new facility is exactly the sort of high quality health centre that the people of Northern Ireland deserve from their health and social services. It will offer an extensive range of community
services like Specialist Nursing, Speech and Language therapy and Adult Mental Health services all delivered in a modern state of the art facility.”
Notes to editors:
1. The new Downe Health Centre accommodates two GP practices and an extensive range of community services, including:
- District Nursing
- Treatment Room Nursing
- Health Visiting
- Specialist Nursing
- Community Dentistry
- Social Care: Care Management
- Assessment / Rehabilitation /Intermediate Care
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Adult Mental Health
- Mental Health Older Person Team
2. Media queries about this press release to DHSSPS Information Office on 028 9052 0575, or out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.