Appointment of a non-executive financial member to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS)
Health Minister, Edwin Poots, today announced the appointment of a non-executive Financial Member to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Agency (NIFRS) for a four year period. Mr Gordon Smyth is appointed with effect from 1 April 2014 to 31 March 2018.
~ Friday, 18 April 2014
NIFRS was established on 1 July 2006 through the Fire and Rescue Services (Northern Ireland) Order 2006 and provides a range of fire and rescue services to a Northern Ireland population of 1.71 million covering an area of over 5,500 square miles. It has 68 fire stations throughout Northern Ireland and is divided into four Area Commands which are supported by 14 Districts, strategically placed in order to create a community focus for NIFRS activities. NIFRS has a workforce of around 2,200 staff. The resource revenue made available to NIFRS for 2013/14 was £76.7million.
This appointment carries a time commitment of three days per month and attracts an annual remuneration of £5,962 per annum.
The appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. A selection panel, which included an Independent Assessor, as required under the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates. The final decision on the appointment rested with the Minister.
Notes to editors:
- Mr Smyth lives in Ballymoney. He is a self-employed business consultant providing a mentoring service for owners of businesses in the small and medium enterprise sector. He brings considerable financial management experience predominantly in the banking sector to his appointment as a non-executive financial member of the Board of NIFRS. He has evidenced good interpersonal and influencing skills and the ability to challenge as an effective board member.
- Mr Smyth currently holds a public appointment with the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency for which he receives remuneration of £2981 per annum.
- This appointment is made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Smyth has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- Media queries should be directed to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0567. Out of office hours, contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699745440 and your call will be returned.