Appointment of two Non-Executive Members to the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency
Health Minister, Edwin Poots today announced the appointments of Mr Gordon Smyth (Lay Member) and Dr John Jenkins (Medical Member) as Non-Executive Members of the Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency (NIMDTA).
~ Tuesday, 22 January 2013
Both applicants demonstrated throughout the appointment process skill sets which will be of benefit to NIMDTA. These appointments were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
Mr Gordon Smyth and Dr John Jenkins have been appointed as a Non-Executive Members for a two year term from 24 January 2013 to 23 January 2015. Both appointments carry a time commitment of 20 days per annum and attract an annual remuneration of £2,922.
Notes to editors:
1. Mr Gordon Smyth lives in Ballymoney and has spent most of his working life in the world of banking. He has many years experience in senior banking roles and with a variety of voluntary and community bodies. He has a strong commitment to involvement in community based projects and demonstrated his well developed organisational skills during the appointment process. Mr Smyth will bring readily transferable skills of analytical thinking and continuous learning which will serve him well as a non-executive member especially within the roles of corporate governance and audit. Mr Smyth holds no other public appointments.
2. Dr John Jenkins lives in Ballymena. Dr Jenkins is a clinician who has held many representative roles on relevant professional medical bodies in particular with the GMC. Dr Jenkins has developed innovative working practices both in intensive care and paediatrics. Dr Jenkins has a clear understanding of the work of NIMDTA and demonstrated his ability to work collaboratively in a wide variety of situations. He has significant experience of non-executive positions within the heath sector which will be of benefit in his new role. Dr Jenkins currently holds no other public appointments.
3. The Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency are responsible for funding, managing and supporting postgraduate medical and dental education within the Northern Ireland Deanery. It provides a wide range of functions in the organization, development and quality assurance of Postgraduate Medical and Dental Education and in the delivery and quality assurance of Continuing Professional Development for general, medical and dental practitioners.
4. The board of NIMDTA comprises of a non-executive Chair and five non-executive members, (three lay members, one from a medical background and one from a dental background). A Non-Executive Member of NIMDTA receives annual remuneration of £2.922 for a time commitment of 20 days per annum.
5. Appointments to NIMDTA are made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. Each person is appointed to act in a personal capacity and not to represent any particular interest or group.
6. There are no specific qualifications for appointment of a Lay Member, however the appointed Member must not have a registrable medical or dental qualification. The Medical Member must be a Consultant currently working in Health and Social Care (HSC) or, as a Principal working in General Practice or employed in either of the above capacities within the last three years.
7. These appointments were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. A selection panel, which included an independent assessor, as required under the Commissioner’s Code, considered the suitability of all candidates. The final decision on the appointment rested with the Minister.
8. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Both appointees declared that they had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
9. Media enquiries to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.