Re-appointment of two members to the Northern Ireland Social Care CouncilFriday, 16 October 2009
The Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety today announced the re-appointment of two members to the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) for a further term.
Health Minister, Michael McGimpsey has re-appointed Mrs Gillian McGaughey (Stakeholder Member) and Mrs Eleanor Taggart (Registrant Member) for a further four-year period with effect from 1 October 2009.
Notes to editors:
1. The overall aim of the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) is to regulate the social work profession and other social care workers by promoting high standards of conduct and practice among social care workers and high standards in their training, and maintaining a register of those who can practice within a social care context. It is responsible for improving the quality of personal social services by raising standards in the workforce. The NISCC has a duty to secure the interests and welfare of service users and to strengthen public protection and confidence.
2. The NISCC was established on 1 October 2001 under the Health & Personal Social Services Act (Northern Ireland) 2001 and following reconstitution from 1 October 2007 is managed by a board consisting of a non-executive Chair and 12 non-executive members.
3. Non-executive members of the Northern Ireland Social Care Council receive annual remuneration of £6,242.
4. The appointments were made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
5. The appointments were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointment for Northern Ireland.
6. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with the original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Mrs. McGaughey and Mrs. Taggart declared that they had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
Mrs Gillian McGaughey BL LLB lives in Belfast. Mrs McGaughey is a barrister specialising in Family and Child Law. She is also a lecturer and teaching fellow at the Institute of Professional Legal Studies, QUB, providing professional legal training for practice. Mrs. McGaughey is a Legal Assessor for the Nursing and Midwifery Council, London, a panel Chair of the Police Appeals Tribunal and a Commissioner of the NI Legal Services Commission. She is also Company Secretary to the Board of St Anne’s Cathedral, Belfast. Mrs McGaughey was initially appointed as a Stakeholder member to the NISCC board for a two year term from 1 October 2007 to 30 September 2009 having previously served as a Stakeholder member on the Council prior to its reconstitution on 1 October 2007. She does not hold any other public appointments and has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
Mrs Eleanor Taggart CSQW lives in Newtownabbey. Mrs Taggart retired in October 2007 having worked in social work, education and training and management for 37 years primarily in the Northern Health Board area; she is currently working as an Independent Consultant. Mrs Taggart has been involved with a wide range of voluntary organisations particularly in the area of services for people with disabilities. She is currently Chair of the Committee for the post qualifying education and training partnership. Mrs Taggart was initially appointed to the NISCC board for a two year term from 1 October 2007 to 30 September 2009 having previously served on the Council prior to its reconstitution on 1 October 2007. She does not hold any other public appointments and has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
8. Media queries to DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0074, or out of hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.