Health Minister announces an extension and re-appointments of the Chairs of the Health and Social Care TrustsFriday, 15 October 2010
Health Minister, Michael McGimpsey today announced the re-appointment of the Chairs to the Western, Belfast and Northern Health and Social Care (HSC) Trusts, and the extension to the term of appointment of the Chair of the Southern HSC Trust.
The re-appointments are: Mr Gerard Guckian (Western HSC Trust), Mr Pat McCartan (Belfast HSC Trust); and Mr Jim Stewart (Northern HSC Trust); and the extension of Mrs Anne Balmer’s (Southern HSC Trust) term of appointment.
Mr Guckian, Mr McCartan, and Mr Stewart are re-appointed for the period from 1 August 2010 to 31 July 2014 and Mrs Balmer’s term of appointment is extended for the period 1 August 2010 to 31 January 2011.
The re-appointments and extension of the term of appointment were made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments.
Notes to editors:
1. The HSC Trusts were established as statutorily separate organisations within the HSC family, responsible for the delivery of responsive and effective health and care services and for the ownership and management of hospitals and other establishments and facilities. They provide health and social care services against Ministerial priorities, standards and targets. Services are provided as specified in contracts with the commissioners of health and care services, namely the Health and Social Care Board. This may include Trusts exercising certain statutory functions, principally in the field of social services, on behalf of the HSC Board. Although Trusts are statutorily separate organisations, they are an integral part of the HSC and are expected to deliver against an agenda set by the Minister and performance managed by the Department and HSC Board.
2. Each HSC Trust is managed directly by a board of directors which has corporate responsibility for its operation. A board is made up of five Executive Directors, seven Non-Executive Directors and a Non-Executive Chair.
3. The rate of remuneration payable to the Chair of the Belfast HSC Trust is £34,333 per annum and for each of the Chairs of the other three HSC Trusts is £29,131 is per annum.
4. The appointments were made with the approval of the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety. There are no specific qualifications for appointment.
5. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. All four appointees declared that they had not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
EXTENSION TO THE TERM OF APPOINTMENT
Mrs Anne Balmer LLB BL lives in Newtownards. She was previously Chair of the Royal Group of Hospitals HSS Trust, having also been a Non Executive Director of the same Trust for over six years. She has recently served as a Board member of the National Employer Advisory Board in London which advises the Ministry of Defence in relation to service personnel either in employment or returning to employment. She was also a member of the Northern Ireland Clinical Excellence Awards Committee for a number of years. She practised as a Barrister at Law until 2003 mainly in the areas of employment and discrimination law. Her other legal interests include health and safety, law and medicine and clinical law. In addition, she has over 20 years senior management experience at Board level. These skills and qualifications enable her to undertake her role as Chair of the Southern Health & Social Care Trust. Mrs Balmer was initially appointed as Chair of the Trust from 1 August 2006 to 31 July 2010. She does not hold any other public appointments and has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
Mr Gerard Guckian BA (Hons) lives in Londonderry. He was Chair of the former Altnagelvin Hospitals Health and Social Services (HSS) Trust from May 2004 to July 2006, having previously served as a Non-Executive Director on the Trust from January 2002 to May 2004. He has been a practising solicitor for over 25 years and is presently a partner in a solicitors practice in Londonderry. Mr Guckian will continue to bring his experience of public sector governance and his commitment to the provision of high quality services which he has accumulated over the past six years as Chair, firstly of Altnagelvin HSS Trust and latterly at the Western HSC Trust to his role as Chair. Mr Guckian was initially appointed as Chair of the Western Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust from 1 August 2006 to 31 July 2010. He does not hold any other public appointments and has not engaged in a political activity in the last five years.
Mr Patrick McCartan CBE MSc FCIPD lives in Bangor, Co Down. He is currently Northern Ireland Trustee of the NHS Confederation and also Chair of the Northern Ireland Confederation (NICON). He was appointed Governor of Our Lady and St Patrick’s College, Knock, Belfast, in March 2010 and is a member of the Board of Governors in St Columbanus College, Bangor. Mr McCartan was a Chair of the former North and West Belfast Health and Social Services Trust from September 2001 to July 2006. Until January 2008, he was Chairman of the Labour Relations Agency. As Chairman and board member of voluntary, charitable and public organisations for 35 years, he continues to bring to his role as Chair of the Trust his knowledge and experience of governance and accountability issues. Mr McCartan was initially appointed as Chair of the Belfast Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust from 1 August 2006 to 31 July 2010. He does not hold any other public appointments and has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
Mr Jim Stewart CBE MA BSc lives in Bleary, Lurgan, Co Armagh. Since November 2004 he has been employed as Managing Director of Training Solutions (NI) Ltd since November 2004. Mr Stewart is Chair of the Warrenpoint Harbour Authority for which he receives £18,510 per annum and is involved, in a voluntary capacity, as Chairman of Sentinus, an organisation/registered charity providing training in schools. He was Chair of the former Green Park Health and Social Services Trust from January 2004 to July 2006 and was a Non-Executive Director of the former Eastern Health and Social Services Board from 1997 until 2003. Mr Stewart has both private and public sector experience at director and senior manager level and has broad international business experience from living and working in four countries abroad with a major multinational company. He has a background in manufacturing, research and development, strategic management and brings extensive leadership experience at board level to his position as Chair of the Trust. Mr Stewart was initially appointed as Chair of the Northern Health and Social Care (HSC) Trust from 1 August 2006 to 31 July 2010. He has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
6. Media enquiries to the DHSSPS Press Office on 028 9052 0579. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.