Arlene Foster launches environment partnership with businessThursday, 29 May 2008
Arlene Foster has got off to a flying start in developing a working partnership with Northern Ireland industry and commerce.
This follows her announcement on a range of measures to modernise and strengthen environmental regulation earlier this week. The newly formed Better Regulation Board met today, comprising key business representatives and officials, to discuss how businesses can be supported to improve their environmental performance and put in place a more streamlined regulatory system which works effectively for everyone.
Commenting on the Agency’s Better Regulation Programme launched today, the Minister said: “We need better designed and better implemented regulation to protect our natural and built environments and to ensure that business can easily operate in away that minimises their environmental impact.”
She added: “This is not a soft approach. It is a sensible approach. Better regulation means just that – regulation which is fit for purpose and easily understood.”
Notes to Editors:
- Since its formation in 2003, EHS’ Environmental Crime Team has investigated 5,779 illegal waste incidents, secured 299 convictions resulting in over £670,000 in court fines, 13 prison sentences and 4 confiscation orders totalling over £833,000.
- In carrying forward its better regulation agenda, EHS will work closely with those it regulates to raise awareness of obligations and good practice, to simplify compliance and engagement with its regulatory teams and to reward those organisations who actively identify and manage their risks to the environment.
- The aim of this better regulation programme is to achieve more effective regulation while reducing the burden on businesses who comply with the law.
- The Position Statement on Better Regulation can be downloaded from the EHS website
- For further media information please contact the DOE Press Office on 028 9054 0003. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Office via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.