Belfast’s regeneration recognised by award for Custom House Square water featureWednesday, 25 November 2009
Social Development Minister Margaret Ritchie MLA, today welcomed a prestigious UK award for the water feature at Custom House Square, Belfast.
The water feature received a special commendation at the Marsh Fountain Society’s 2009 awards ceremony held in London. The state of the art feature traces the course of the River Farset as it runs from the Albert Clock along the edge of the Square, using a series of choreographed and illuminated water jets.
Margaret Ritchie said: “The water feature at Custom House Square has for many, become a focal point within our capital city. The Square, open space and in particular the water feature provide an attractive public place in the city centre for citizens and visitors and an outdoor events venue of world class reputation.
“I therefore welcome this news of national recognition at the highest level that this elegant and innovative water feature has been given. Credit must go to Laganside Corporation for its vision in realising the full potential of this area.”
Notes to editors:
- Custom House Square was completed in 2005 by the Laganside Corporation at a cost of c£4million.
- Following the dissolution of Laganside Corporation in March 2007 the assets and liabilities of the Corporation were transferred to the Department for Social Development (DSD). As statutory successor in title to Laganside, DSD is responsible for the maintenance of the Square and Water Feature and for the promotion of this open and event space. The Paul Hogarth Company designed Custom House Square.
- The Marsh Fountain Society was founded in 1986 and its President is HRH Prince of Wales KG, KT, GCB, and OM. The Society encourages the active restoration, use and development of fountains, cascades and water features and campaigns for the creative and active use of water for the public and private good.
- The Marsh Fountain Award is the only UK award for fountains, cascades or water features. Marsh website www.fountainsoc.org.uk
- Media enquiries to DSD Information Office on 028 9082 9078 or 07970 976894. Out of office hours please contact Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.