O’Dowd turns down additional nursery class at Dungannon Nursery School
Education Minister, John O’Dowd, has turned down the establishment of a third 26 place full-time nursery class at Dungannon Nursery School.
~ Friday, 7 December 2012
Explaining the reasons for his decision, Mr O’Dowd commented: “When creating new provision I aim to ensure that it is in the right place to meet the needs of the children it is intended to serve. While analysis of this proposal has highlighted a need for additional places in the Dungannon area, the evidence does not demonstrate that increasing provision at this school would be the best option for meeting the needs of children in this area.
“I have therefore asked the Southern Education and Library Board to carry out an urgent strategic review of the need for provision in the area and to consider how best to meet the demand for pre-school places from 1 September 2013. These options should aim to provide high quality pre-school education that is sustainable and affordable.”
Notes to editors:
- Dungannon Nursery School is a co-educational nursery school and currently offers 52 full time places. The school is situated on the same grounds as Dungannon Primary School and the Dungannon Campus of the South Western Regional College.
- On 14 June 2012, the Southern Education and Library Board (SELB) published Development Proposal No 275 proposing the establishment of a third full time nursery class at Dungannon Nursery School with effect from 1 September 2013, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The Department of Education has launched a new ‘Education Works’ advertising campaign. The campaign encourages families to play, talk, read and count with their child and to ‘Get Involved Because Education Works’. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect website for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- View photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.