Appointment of member to the Belfast Education and Library Board
The Department of Education has announced the appointment of one new member to the Board of the Belfast Education and Library Board.
~ Wednesday, 16 January 2013
General (Teacher) Member
Mrs Paula Leitch is a senior teacher in the Belfast Model School for Girls and a teacher representative member of the school Board of Governors. She has a range of experience of working as part of a team, communicating information and engaging with others in statutory, voluntary and public sector organisations. She does not currently hold any other public appointments and has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
Notes to editors:
- The Education and Library Boards in Northern Ireland are statutory bodies which perform a wide range of functions in the funding and delivery of local education and youth services for their respective areas. The Board members are appointed by the Minister for Education in accordance with Schedule 2 to the Education and Libraries (NI) Order 1986.
- Board Membership comprises four categories of Member, i.e. District Councillors, representatives of the interests of Transferors of controlled schools and Trustees of maintained schools and General members appointed by reason of their interest in the services for which the Board is responsible, including serving teachers in grant-aided schools in the area of the Board.
- This appointment is made under the General (Teacher) category.
- The term of appointment is for the transitional period until the Education and Skills Authority (ESA) is established. Board members do not receive annual remuneration in respect of their appointment although they receive payments by way of attendance allowances - £22 up to four hours and £30.39 more than four hours - or financial loss allowances in relation to their duties.
- The appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments’ Code of Practice. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team Tel: (028) 9127 9207. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.