O’Dowd approves nursery unit at Howard Primary School, Dungannon
Education Minister, John O’Dowd, has approved the establishment of a new 26 place part-time nursery unit at Howard Primary School.
~ Wednesday, 21 August 2013
Explaining the reasons for his decision, Mr O’Dowd commented: “There is a clearly demonstrated need to create more pre-school places for the benefit of the children in the area.
“It is well-known that a high quality pre-school education has a positive impact on children’s educational outcomes. That is why my Department is committed to delivering on the Programme for Government target to provide places for all children in their immediate pre-school year whose parents wish it. This new provision at Howard Primary School will help achieve this aim in the Dungannon area.
“The new nursery unit will also provide places to children who would otherwise have to travel outside their immediate locality to access a pre-school place.”
Notes to editors:
- Howard Primary School is a controlled, co-educational primary school situated in Moygashel area of Dungannon, approximately 1.5 miles from the town centre. The schools approved P1 admission and enrolment numbers are 46 and 319 respectively.
- On 18 April 2013, the Southern Education and Library Board (SELB) published Development Proposal (DP) No. 287, which proposes the establishment of a part-time nursery unit at Howard Primary School, with effect from 1 September 2013, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- The Department of Education’s ‘Education Works’ campaign encourages families to play, talk, read and count with their child and to ‘Get Involved Because Education Works’. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect website for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
- View photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
- Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.