Chairperson and board members sought for Education and Skills Authority
The Department of Education (DE) has advertised the posts of Chairperson and four members for the board of the Education and Skills Authority (ESA).
~ Thursday, 22 November 2012
ESA will be established next year to replace the functions and services currently performed by the five Education and Library Boards, the Staff Commission for the Education and Library Boards, the Council for Catholic Maintained Schools and the Youth Council.
Some functions from within the Department of Education will also transfer to ESA.
A spokesperson for the Department of Education said: “By streamlining the delivery of education services from eight bodies into one single authority, ESA will transform the delivery of education services. ESA will have a clear focus on improving the life chances of young people in the education system and will have a key role to play in helping to develop the local economy through education.
“This week advertisements have been placed for the posts of Chairperson and four board members. The Department is seeking to appoint individuals who are representative of the community and who have the experience and drive necessary to undertake what will be challenging yet rewarding roles.
“The Department would encourage anyone who meets the criteria, regardless of their own background, to consider applying.
“DE is committed to equality of opportunity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified people irrespective of background. Applications are particularly welcome from women, members of ethnic minorities and people with a disability. In the application process, the Department also wishes to recognise less traditional career patterns and experiences such as community involvement or voluntary work, as well as those experiences found within the employment field. All applications for appointment are considered strictly on merit.”
The term of appointment for these positions is four years. It is estimated that the time commitment required will be equivalent to approximately three days per week for the Chairperson position and five days per month for the member positions.
The ESA board will also include eight political representatives; four members representative of the interests of transferors of controlled schools and four members representative of the interests of trustees of maintained schools.
Details of the roles and full selection criteria are set out in the application packs which are available by contacting the Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 19 December 2012.
Notes to editors:
1. There are separate application packs for the Chairperson and member positions which can be obtained from the Department in the following ways, stating which application pack you require:
Telephone: (028) 9127 9704/461
Text phone: 18001 (028) 9127 9461
Voicemail: (028) 9127 9860
Website: www.deni.gov.uk or
In writing: Education Governance Team, Department of Education, Rathgael House, 43 Balloo Road, Rathgill, Bangor, Co Down, BT19 7PR.
2. Interviews are expected to be held during February and March 2013 with appointments expected to be made in April 2013.
3. Application packs can be made available in other formats e.g. braille or large print. If application packs are required in a different format a request can be made by contacting the Department as above.
4. CVs will not be accepted.
5. The Department of Education has launched a new ‘Education Works’ advertising campaign. The campaign encourages families to play, talk, read and count with their child and to ‘Get Involved Because Education Works’. Watch out for the ads on television, radio and outdoor locations. The campaign highlights the vital role families can play in helping children do well at school and improve their life chances. Visit nidirect website for more information or watch the TV ad on the Department’s YouTube channel.
6. View photos from the Department of Education in our Flickr collection.
7. Media enquiries to the Department of Education’s Communications Team on Tel: 028 9127 9207. Out of office hours, contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 99 715 440, and your call will be returned.