Reappointments to the Labour Relations Agency Board
The Minister for Employment and Learning, Dr Stephen Farry, today announced the reappointment of Mrs Sally McKee and Mr Gordon Parkes as members of the Board of the Labour Relations Agency.
~ Wednesday, 5 December 2012
The reappointments take effect from 1 January 2013 for a period of three years. The previous appointments were effective from 1 January 2010 to 31 December 2012.
The LRA aims to be the leading organisation in Northern Ireland for improving employment relations, by providing impartial and independent services for promoting good employment practices, and preventing and resolving disputes.
Both Mrs McKee and Mr Parkes bring significant employment relations experience to the work of the LRA Board. Mrs McKee’s specific contribution concerns specialist knowledge in issues relating to disability and the education sector, whilst Mr Parkes, who is the current Chairman of the LRA’s Audit Committee, has specialist knowledge of the energy industry and textile sector.
Notes to editors:
- The appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments NI Code of Practice.
- The post is non-pensionable. Appointments to the LRA Board are made on a part-time basis. Board members normally serve two, three-year terms. Remuneration is currently £5,050 per annum. Board Members are expected to be available for at least one day per month.
- The Board of the LRA has corporate responsibility for ensuring that the Agency fulfils its aims and objectives contained in its Corporate and Business Plans approved by the Department, and for promoting the efficient use of resources by the Agency.
- The Code of Practice requires that all public appointments of appointees, including remuneration are made public – Mr Parkes holds no other public appointments at present. Mrs McKee is a member of the General Teaching Council, for which she receives expenses only.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Northern Ireland requires that the political activity of appointees be published. Neither appointee has been involved in any political activity.
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Employment and Learning Communications Branch on 028 9025 7466. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.