Minister Announces Appointment to Ulster Supported Employment Limited (USEL)
The Minister for Employment and Learning, Dr Stephen Farry, has announced the appointment of Mr Trevor Hinds as a new Board member for Ulster Supported Employment Limited (USEL). This appointment takes effect from 1 January 2013 for a period of three years.
~ Tuesday, 11 December 2012
USEL is a Non-Departmental Public Body which was established in 1962 under the Disabled Persons (Employment) Act (NI) 1945 to provide employment for severely disabled people. The Department for Employment and Learning is the sponsoring Department for USEL. USEL has a manufacturing operation in North Belfast. The factory has two sections manufacturing bedding and industrial sewing and employs over 60 people most of whom are disabled. USEL also operates a number of employment programmes on behalf of the Department. These programmes include Employment Support, Workable (NI) and Steps to Work.
Mr Hinds is the Principal at Trevor Hinds Consultancy. He is a member of the Agri-foods and Biosciences Institute’s Board since April 2010 and a Board Member of Drainage Council for NI since February 2012. He has previously been a Director in Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC) and was a General Manager and Company Secretary for International Factors (NI) Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Ireland. Mr Hinds is currently a Board Member and Trustee of Mindwise Limited and a Board Member of North City Training Ltd.
The considerable experience Mr Hinds has gathered in working to improve the lives and employment prospects of people with disabilities and his breadth of knowledge in this area of work will be extremely beneficial to the work of USEL.
Notes to editors:
- The appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments NI Code of Practice.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments in Northern Ireland requires that the political activity of appointees be published. Mr Hinds has declared no political activity.
- Appointments to the USEL Board are made on a part-time basis. The post attracts remuneration of £135 per meeting based on a time commitment of approximately 11 meetings per year.
- Mr. Hinds receives an annual rate of £3,745 for his membership of the Agri-foods and Biosciences Institute’s Board and expenses only for his membership of the Drainage Council for NI.
- Members of the USEL Board are: Mr James Perry (Chair), Mrs Judith Kelly, Mrs Brenda Maitland, Mr Brian McMurray, Mr Gavin Adams and Mr Aidan Bennett.
- All media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Employment and Learning Communications Branch on 028 9025 7466. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.