McCausland Announces Regeneration Package for Belfast City Centre’s Northside
Social Development Minister Nelson McCausland has today launched a package of proposals to regenerate Belfast City Centre’s Northside.
~ Tuesday, 27 November 2012
The proposals include:
- a development brief inviting the property sector to bring forward proposals for mixed-use development within the Library/Press Quarter and the Clifton Street Gateway site;
- a public consultation on a draft design brief to create a new public space to the rear of Central Library; and,
- a public consultation on a draft development proposal for a new gateway site at the corner of Upper North Street and Carrick Hill to make a better connection between the Shankill area and the city centre to be known as the ‘BT1 Gateway’.
The two public consultations were launched today.
Minister McCausland said: “These proposals aim to kick start the regeneration of the Northside by developing several key catalytic projects to attract investment to this area over the longer-term. This mirrors the approach that we successfully followed at Laganside and aims to complement the development proposals for the University of Ulster’s York Street Campus and the Royal Exchange project.
“We have initiated the procurement process that will enable us to seek proposals from potential private sector partners to develop commercial/business, leisure, residential, retail and tourism/culture mixed-use sites in the Library/Press Quarter and the Clifton Street Gateway”.
The Department for Social Development has said that the development brief will be published in January 2013.
The Minister continued: “My clear aim is to revitalise this part of the city centre’s rich architectural cultural heritage by creating unique high quality public spaces and buildings for those who live, work, study and enjoy leisure time in the city centre. I encourage the public to take a look at the proposals and send their comments to my Department”.
Notes to editors
- The public exhibition for the Library Square and BT1 Gateway proposals will be held in Belfast Central Library w/c 21 January and in the University of Ulster’s York Street campus w/c 28 January 2013.
- The consultations and information on how to respond are available on the DSD website at :http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/index/consultations.htm. The closing date for responses is 22nd February 2013.
- The design team for the Library Square and BT1 gateway proposal worked with a key stakeholder group including Northern Ireland Tourist Board, Belfast City Centre Management, Planning NI, DRD Roads Service, Belfast Central Library and Belfast Telegraph.
- Media enquiries to DSD Communications Team on 028 9082 9078. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- View pictures of the Minister in the area to launch the scheme here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niexecutive/sets/72157631642882084/