The Department of Health is seeking applicants for the role of Non–Executive Chair of the Board for five of Northern Ireland’s Health and Social Care (HSC) Trusts.
The Public Appointments competitions launched today are seeking Non-Executive Chairs for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Trust, Belfast Health & Social Care Trust, Northern Health & Social Care Trust, South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust, and the Western Health & Social Care Trust.
Permanent Secretary Peter May said: “Public bodies across Health and Social Care deliver important and essential public services in Northern Ireland. The chair of a Health and Social Care Trust plays a unique and vital leadership role at a time of immense challenge and opportunity for our health service.
“They’re responsible for leading the Trust board in effective governance of a large and complex organisation undergoing substantial change. They have a strong desire and commitment to improve and strengthen public services for the benefit of patients and staff. And that means being able to provide constructive challenge, support and guidance to Trust management, whilst building collaborative relationships with key stakeholders.
“We need talented people with the skills and experience to serve as chairs or non-executive members on boards providing the direction and leadership to these bodies, holding senior staff to account and providing independent advice.
“If you have the skills, the drive and the commitment to help lead and transform our Health and Social Care services, please consider applying for these very important roles.”
The position of a Non-Executive Chair offers an exceptional opportunity to play a key role in helping to shape and drive the delivery of essential health and social care services and to make a positive difference to the lives of people in Northern Ireland.
Eileen Mullan, current Chair of the Southern Health & Social Care Trust, said: “Everyone in Health and Social Care is working to the same aim, that is the delivery of safe high quality care. This is an incredibly rewarding role which I hold with great pride.
“You get to work with some of the most amazing people who come to work every day to do the best they can for our patients and families.”
The successful applicants are expected to take up post from April 2023.
People from all walks of life are sought to take on these key leadership roles. People who are passionate about the future of Health and Social Care and who want to hold to account, on behalf of the community, the bodies delivering services.
The Department is committed to the principles of public appointments based on merit with independent assessment, openness and transparency of process. It is also committed to providing equality of opportunity and welcomes applications regardless of gender, age, marital status, disability, religion, ethnic origin, political opinion, sexual orientation or whether or not you have dependants.
Time commitment for each position is:
- BHSCT: 3 days per week; current remuneration - £38,397 per annum.
- NHSCT: 3 days per week; current remuneration - £32,579 per annum.
- NIAST: 2½ - 3 days per week; current remuneration - £25,210 per annum.
- SEHSCT: 3 days per week; current remuneration - £32,579 per annum.
- WHSCT: 3 days per week; current remuneration - £32,579 per annum
The period of appointment will be for a period not longer than four years.
The deadline for applications is 12:00 noon GMT Friday 9 December 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
To find out more on these and other appointment opportunities, visit the Department of Health website.
Notes to editors:
- Information booklets and application forms can be provided in alternative formats and applicants who require assistance will be facilitated on request. Applicants invited for interview will be eligible for reimbursement of reasonable travelling expenses.
- For further information and an application form:
Visit current vacancies on the Department of Health website.
Telephone: 02890 522528 or 02890 378793 (Monday – Friday between 9.00am and 5.00pm)
Write to: DoH Public Appointments, Room 16, Annexe 1, Castle Buildings, Stormont Estate, Belfast BT4 3SQ.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.