The Department for Communities has announced the appointment of Mr Maynard Mawhinney as the Independent Chair of a working group which will review the roles and responsibilities of councillors in Northern Ireland. The appointment takes effect from 1 December 2023.
The Chair and working group will make recommendations to the Department on the system and level of a range of allowances available to councillors.
Notes to editors:
- The appointment is for six months from 1 December 2023. The time commitment is up to 40 days and the remuneration is £300 per day.
- Biography - Mr Maynard Mawhinney is a Non-Executive Director with the South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust, where he chairs the Finance & Performance Committee. He is also chair of CAFRE's College Advisory Group. Maynard served as a Board member with the Health & Safety Executive and was an independent Assessor with the Commissioner for Public Appointments (NI). In the private sector he was formerly a Non Executive Director with Around Noon Ltd., a Newry headquartered company with operations in London and the Republic of Ireland. He brings a range of skills to this position focusing on leadership, communications, analytical thinking and decision making. Mr Mawhinney has declared no political activity in the last five years.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.