The Department of Health is inviting the public to participate in upcoming virtual consultation events on a new 10-year Cancer Strategy for Northern Ireland.
The virtual events are being held to support the ongoing public consultation on the 10 year Cancer Strategy which aims to place Northern Ireland at the forefront of world class cancer prevention, treatment and patient experience.
The public are invited to provide feedback on the proposals outlined in the draft strategy and can attend any of the following virtual events. Anyone wishing to attend can register online.
- Tuesday 5 October 2021, 2pm - 3.30pm
- Thursday 7 October 2021, 11am - 12.30pm
- Tuesday 12 October 2021, 7pm - 8.30pm
Chief Nursing Officer Professor Charlotte McArdle, Co-Chair of the Department of Health steering group tasked with developing the new strategy said: “Over the course of our lives we will all feel the impacts of cancer, whether directly or indirectly so it is important that we hear the views of as many people as possible. It is our ambition, that through this strategy, we will develop a world class service which is based on improving outcomes for everyone diagnosed with cancer in Northern Ireland. By getting involved in the consultation process you will have the opportunity to help shape the future of cancer services and make our ambition become a reality for people living here.”
The draft cancer strategy consists of 67 recommendations drawn from the best available evidence and reflecting the voices of people who use and work in cancer services. The recommendations are across four key themes:
- Reduce the growth in the number of people diagnosed with preventable cancers
- Diagnosis and treatment - to improve survival
- Patient experience - to improve the experience of people diagnosed with cancer
- Implementing the Strategy
The consultation will close on 20 October 2021 and the EQIA will close on 17 November 2021. Further information on the consultation process are published on the Department of Health website.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquiries please contact the DoH Press Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.