The Department of Health has announced the extension to the term of appointment of a Non-Executive (Lay) Director to the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust (BHSCT).
Professor Martin Bradley’s extension will commence on 18 May 2023 and will end on a date not later than 17 August 2023.
The Non-Executive Director position attracts an annual remuneration of £8,727 with a time commitment of 1 day per week.
This extension is made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
There are six HSC Trusts, each established to provide goods and services for the purposes of health and social care, and with the exception of the Ambulance Trust, they are also responsible for exercising on behalf of the Department certain statutory functions which are delegated to them by virtue of authorisations made under the Health and Personal Social Services (Northern Ireland) Order 1994. Each HSC Trust also has a statutory obligation to put and keep in place arrangements for monitoring and improving the quality of health and social care which it provides to individuals and the environment in which it provides them (Health and Personal Social Services (Quality, Improvement and Regulation) (NI) Order 2003).
The BHSCT Board comprises a Non-Executive Chair, seven Non-Executive Directors and five Executive Directors including the Chief Executive.
Notes to editors:
1. Professor Martin Bradley has many years’ experience within health and social care, education and professional regulation. He has held positions as a Director of Nurse Education, Chief Nursing Officer and Director of Health Care in the Western HSC Board, Director of the Royal College of Nursing and Chief Nursing Officer in the Department of Health. He has also held appointments to the Nursing and Midwifery Council, the Pharmaceutical Council (NI) and Chair of the NI Association for Mental Health 2011 – 2014. Professor Bradley has chaired major reviews for the Department of Health, Dublin, on Undergraduate Nursing and Midwifery Education and a Review of Non-Medical Prescribing. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Nursing, a Fellow of the Queens Nursing Institute (UK) and a Senior Associate of the Royal Society of Medicine. In 2013 he was awarded the OBE for services to nursing in the UK and in 2022 the CBE for services to Defence Medicine. He is a Deputy Lieutenant for the County Borough of Belfast.
2. Appointments to the BHSCT are made with the approval of the Department of Health.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. The appointee has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
4. For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
6. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.