The Department of Health has announced extensions to the terms of appointment of two Non-Executive Directors to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS).
The extended terms for Mr Trevor Haslett, Non-Executive (Lay) Director and Mr William Abraham, Non-Executive (Finance) Director commenced on 18 August 2023 and will end on a date not later than 17 November 2023.
The Non-Executive Director position attracts an annual remuneration of £6,535 with a time commitment of 3 days per month.
These extensions are made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
NIAS exists to improve the health and wellbeing of the people of Northern Ireland. NIAS provides quality emergency, urgent and primary care services which is available to everyone. NIAS has 46 stations spread over 5345 square miles and serves over 1.8 million people.
The NIAS Board comprises a Non-Executive Chair, 5 Non-Executive Directors and 5 Executive Members including the Chief Executive.
Notes to editors:
- Trevor Haslett is a former NI Water CEO, Board Director and Water Industry Professional with high calibre change and transformation management experience, working at Chief Executive, Executive Director and Senior Management positions across complex and heavily regulated environments including public sector, non-departmental public bodies and the private sector. A Chartered Engineer and Environmentalist, he is a Fellow of three Professional Institutions and has successfully implemented business change programmes delivering improved customer service and efficiency savings in a career extending to almost 40 years. He provides consultancy advice to clients working in the construction, water and wastewater sectors both in the UK and internationally. Experience in these markets includes Water Resource Management Planning, Major Incident Planning, Change Management, Risk Assessment and Management, Governance, Renewable Energy, Health and Safety and Project Management. Mr Haslett is the Chair of the Centre for Advanced Sustainable Energy.
- William Abraham was appointed Non-Executive Director in May 2015 at NIAS. He has held senior law firm and business positions in the UK and Asia. He has also been involved in a number of companies on special projects, as an investor, senior advisor, or on the board. As a senior partner and the Head of International Projects and Finance for a major international law firm, he led transactional teams working on the project financing of complex, high value international projects. Among other roles, Mr Abraham is currently the Chair of the NIAS Audit and Risk Assurance Committee. He holds a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree and a Master of Laws (LLM) from Cambridge focusing on international commercial law. He has qualified and practiced in both Canada and in the UK. He is active on a number of educational and charitable ventures and is particularly focused on projects that can deliver the goal of societal transformation in a commercially sustainable manner.
- Appointments to the NIAS are made with the approval of the Department of Health.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. The appointees haves declared that they have not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- For media enquiries please contact DoH Press Office by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @healthdpt
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.