Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has today launched a consultation on the £150m future development of the Queen’s Quay area of Belfast’s waterfront.
Situated on the eastern bank of the River Lagan this prominent site provides a key connection between the city centre and other developments such as the SSE Arena and Titanic Quarter, and proposed schemes at Sirocco Quay and Belfast Quays.
Minister Hargey said:
“This consultation focuses on the exciting £150m major redevelopment of the prime waterfront site at Queen’s Quay in Belfast. The blueprint for the area maps out how this significant site, located at one of most strategic gateways for the city centre, will be regenerated both socially and economically in the years ahead.
“The project will reinvigorate the eastern side of the city centre with new housing and key commercial space to an area close to landmark developments such as the SSE Arena, Titanic Quarter and the Obel Tower.
“The redevelopment of Queen’s Quay will have an important role to play in helping to improve access for communities in east Belfast to the city centre and to become a high quality and shared space for all with a lasting legacy.”
The Department’s online public consultation exhibit on the proposals, supported by virtual consultation clinics, which will run on their website from 7th December until 31st January 2022.
The Minister continued:
“I invite members of the public and interested parties to view the exciting proposals or to register for one of the virtual consultation via my Department’s website.”
Hamilton Architects is leading the integrated consultant team to deliver the new vision for Queen’s Quay, with Tetra Tech Consulting providing the planning advice.
Paul Millar, Partner at Hamilton Architects, said:
“Queen’s Quay is a very prestigious and exciting project which will usher in a new era in the economic and social regeneration of Belfast’s riverfront and connect different sections of the city as never before.
“Our team is experienced in urban regeneration and has a comprehensive understanding of the issues associated with planning, financial viability and commercial law. This is critical to enable the Department to bring forward this comprehensive development scheme.”
Notes to editors:
- PHOTO CAPTION: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured with Graeme Ogle and Fabien Cadot from Hamilton Architects
- Hamilton Architects were appointed by the Department for Communities as Integrated Design Team to design proposals for Queen’s Quay.
- Tetra Tech Consulting (NI) Ltd are providing planning advice as part of the Integrated Design Team.
- Details and further information can be obtained from, and comments can also be made direct to: Tetra Tech Consulting (NI) Ltd and Hamilton Architects until close of business (5pm) on Monday 31st January 2022 via the following methods
Tetra Tech Consulting (NI) Ltd
1 Locksley Business Park
3 Joy St,
By Telephone: 028 90 706069 (Tetra Tech Consulting (NI) Ltd) or 028 9033 4250 (Hamilton Architects)
Comments can be made until close of business (5pm) on 31st January 2022
- Registration for the virtual consultation clinics is required in advance and should be obtained by emailing your request by 5pm on Friday 10th December 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any comments made to Tetra Tech Consulting (NI) Ltd or Hamilton Architects in respect of the proposals are not representations to the local planning authority. If a planning application is subsequently submitted to Belfast City Council, public advertisement and neighbour notification will be undertaken at that juncture and you will have the opportunity to make a formal representation to the planning application at that time.
- Please note that in providing any comments on the development proposals you are agreeing for your personal information to be used in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) requirements.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI