Economy Minister Gordon Lyons MLA has appointed Mrs Jennifer McKeever as temporary Chair of the Governing Body of North West Regional College (NWRC).
Mrs McKeever’s appointment is effective from 1 July 2022 until the appointment of a new permanent Chair.
This appointment was made in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland. More information is available at Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland website.
Notes to editors:
1. NWRC is one of the six further education colleges in Northern Ireland. Colleges are non-departmental public bodies of the Department for the Economy, which are established under the Further Education (Northern Ireland) Order 1997. The Governing Body (GB) of a further education college is responsible for securing the efficient and effective management of the college, the provision of suitable further education to its students and determining the college’s strategic direction. In delivering college services, the GB takes into account the educational needs of the business sector and the local community.
2. Mrs McKeever’s appointment follows the untimely passing of Mr Gerard Finnegan, the former Governing Body Chair of NWRC, in early 2022.
3. The post of GB Chair is remunerated at a rate of £20,000 per annum, plus travel and subsistence allowances which are payable at Northern Ireland Civil Service rates in respect of activities carried out whilst fulfilling their duties.
4. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees (if any declared) to be published. Jennifer McKeever has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
5. Jennifer is the Managing Director in the Airporter coach service based in Derry/Londonderry since starting the business 25 years ago. She held the role of President of the Londonderry Chamber of Commerce in 2018 and has served on the Board of Londonderry Chamber since 2013 (non-remunerated). She has been involved in Economic Development in her work with Chamber of Commerce and in the development of skills for the Tourism and Hospitality industry in her own role in Airporter, including as Chair of Tourism & Hospitality Skills as part of the Education and Skills Delivery Partnership with Derry & Strabane District Council (non-remunerated). She has served as a Member of the GB of NWRC since the beginning of 2022. In addition, she is a Visiting Professor at Ulster University (non-remunerated). Jennifer has a BA from Carleton University, Ottawa. Jennifer does not hold any other public appointments.
6. For media enquiries contact the Department for the Economy Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @Economy_NI
- Facebook – @EconomyNI
- Skills to Succeed Facebook
- Instagram – economy_ni
- LinkedIn – Department for the Economy NI
8. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.