Up to 36 commercial properties on Derry Road and Market Street in Strabane are set to benefit from a refresh as Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey announces funding for painting works.
The Department for Communities has awarded funding of almost £100,000 to Derry City and Strabane District Council to deliver the project to enhance shop frontages.
Minister Hargey said:
“I’m pleased to support this project which aims to boost the regeneration and development of Strabane town centre. Around 36 commercial properties will benefit from a refresh of shop fronts, increasing their appeal to shoppers and adding to the vitality of the town.
“Our towns and city centres have faced significant challenges in recent times, particularly as a result of the pandemic.
“I am committed to supporting their economic viability as shopping and social hubs and make them great places to shop, work, visit and live.”
Welcoming the project, Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council, Cllr Sandra Duffy, said:
“This is an important streetscape regeneration initiative in Strabane Town Centre which will greatly improve the overall presentation and appearance of the commercial properties along both streets.
“The work will complement other recent environmental improvement initiatives, including the recently completed Shopfront Enhancement Scheme in the Butcher Street/Church Street area, and supports ongoing efforts to build the local economy after what has been a very challenging time. I would like to thank the Communities Minister for her ongoing support for the long-term regeneration and development of Strabane.”
Notes to editors:
- The works are due to complete by the end of September 2022.
- Funding of £97,397 has been provided to Derry City and Strabane District Council who will project manage delivery.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI