Environment Minister Edwin Poots MLA has visited Portrush Curran (East Strand) in County Antrim, to hear how partnership working has helped to improve water quality and facilities for the public at our identified bathing waters.
During his visit, Minister Poots was given a demonstration of the RNLI lifeguarding facility at the strand, and heard about improvements to water quality at Portrush Curran (East Strand) and throughout Northern Ireland.
Minister Poots said: “Portrush Curran (East Strand) was eligible to apply for a Blue Flag in 2022 for the first time since 2014, and I was delighted to recently be able to present the Council with this award at the Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful Beach Awards ceremony in Ballygally. This fantastic achievement has only been possible due to the continued improvements in water quality and management of the beach, with the bathing water now meeting the stringent ‘Excellent’ standard.”
Portrush Curran (East Strand) was classified as ‘Excellent’ in 2021, which is a prerequisite for the coveted Blue Flag Award.
The Minister continued: “We take pride in these successes and will continue to work with our stakeholders and partner agencies towards further reducing water pollution to keep bathing waters clean and safe for everyone to enjoy. Our beaches contribute to the health and well-being of locals and visitors alike.”
Notes to editors:
- Northern Ireland has 26 identified bathing waters, which must meet stringent water quality standards set in the Bathing Water Regulations. The bathing season runs from 1 June until 15 September annually. The statutory bathing water operator, usually the local authority, displays the results on posters at each bathing water. Results are also posted online on NI Direct. Portrush Curran (East Strand) was classified as having ‘Excellent’ water quality in 2021, having improved from ‘Good’ water quality in 2020.
- Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful administers the Blue Flag Award, which is the definitive international beach award recognised in 46 countries and is an assurance of beach cleanliness and safety. Portrush Curran (East Strand) was eligible to apply for a Blue Flag in 2022 for the first time since 2014. This has been possible due to the improvements in water quality, with the bathing water now meeting the stringent ‘Excellent’ standard.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office at email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.