Provisional Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics for April to June 2021 have been published today by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
This statistical report is updated quarterly and contains provisional information on key measurements of local authority collected (LAC) municipal waste for councils and waste management groups in Northern Ireland.
This is the fifth quarterly waste report to include data from a period when measures and advice were implemented in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The key points are:
- Northern Ireland’s councils collected 284,771 tonnes of waste during April to June 2021, a 20.4% increase compared to April to June 2020. It should be noted that measures were introduced during April to June 2020 in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, including the closure of civic amenity sites. The full resumption of these services is primarily responsible for the extent of the increase in arisings reported.
- During April to June 2021, 52.1% of waste collected by councils was sent for recycling, 0.8% lower than the recycling rate for April to June 2020.
- The landfill rate for waste collected by councils was 21.6% in April to June 2021, a fall from 72.5% in April to June 2006, and similar to the 21.2% recorded during April to June 2020.
- Almost a quarter (23.8%) of waste arisings were sent for energy recovery in April to June 2021, higher than the 23.2% reported in April to June 2020, and the 0.1% rate during the same quarter in 2010.
- Household waste accounted for 88.2% of all waste collected during this period.
- The recycling rate for household waste was 52.1%, down from 54.4% in April to June 2020. The landfill rate for household waste was 21.5%, an increase from 20.7% compared to the same quarter last year.
Notes to editors:
1. This is the latest in a regular series of quarterly Northern Ireland local authority collected municipal waste management statistics reports and is the first report for the 2021/22 financial year covering the period April to June 2021. Current and previous reports dating back to 2009/10 can be accessed from the DAERA website. The series will continue to be updated on a quarterly basis.
2. All figures are provisional until the final end-year validation has been completed. An annual report with fully validated figures for 2020/21 is scheduled for November 2021.
3. The data in this report are based on returns made to WasteDataFlow, which is a web based system, used by all UK local authorities to report LAC municipal waste.
4. There are four main sections in the report which covers local authority collected municipal waste and, where appropriate, household waste: arisings; reuse, dry recycling, composting; energy recovery; and landfill.
5. With the reform of local government in Northern Ireland 8 of the 11 district councils were split into two Waste Management Groups with three unaffiliated to any group as follows:
arc21: Antrim & Newtownabbey; Ards & North Down, Belfast, Lisburn & Castlereagh; Mid & East Antrim; Newry, Mourne & Down.
North West Regional Waste Management Group: Causeway Coast & Glens; Derry City & Strabane.
6. These statistics are released according to the Statement of Compliance with the Pre-release access to Official Statistics Order (NI) 2009. National Statistics meet the highest standards of trustworthiness, quality and public value. They undergo regular quality assurance reviews to ensure that they meet customer needs. They are produced free from any political interference.
8. All media queries should be directed to the DAERA Press Office.
9. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.